DroidTV MX new Firmware released!

DroidTV Wizard for XBMC

Minix X7 8th FW released!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[HOW-TO] Connect UART cable to the DroidTV M6
05-29-2013, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2013 11:00 PM by Evgeniy.)
Not Solved [HOW-TO] Connect UART cable to the DroidTV M6
Hi guys,

Here is small tutorial on how to connect the UART cable to the DroidTV M6 and get connected to the debug console.
This what you need
1. USB->TTL cable as per image (can be purchased from there there ):
[Image: 954_LRG_00474_62056_1368472573_1280_1280.jpg]
2. M/B without the top cover
3. Putty
  • Next, connect the UART cable as shown on the image:
    [Image: 20130529_135828.jpg]
  • Don't connect the power pin (red cable). Here's the list of pins:
    [Image: How_to_connect.jpg]
  • In the Device Manager check for the Com port your TTL cable was identified:
    [Image: Port.jpg]
  • Launch Putty and select Serial connection type. Then enter COM1, COM2 or COM3 accordingly to the previous image. Select the speed 115200 and the press open:
    [Image: putty1.jpg]
  • you should see the dark screen without any text:
    [Image: Putty2.jpg]
  • Plug the power plug connector. Then power it on pressing the power button. Finally you should see the M6 debug console:
    [Image: Putty3.jpg]
Hope that was helpful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Not Solved RE: [HOW-TO] Connect UART cable to the DroidTV M6
In playing with my ATVBox I badly bricked the device. Initially I was able to talk to the internal SD card. Later it was booting up from external SD card and not recognizing the internal card. At this point it can load uImage_recovery but after a colored screen throws a yellow droid on the lower right side of the screen.

I connected the UART to my serial port and with a win-7 terminal program I was able to talk to the device. However, on turning on it throws a lot of garbage on the screen (about 15k). I tried all combinations of BIT/PARITY/STOPBIT with out luck. What configuration did you use? what character set? Should I short my SPI chip? what can I expect after that? How do I get a good (usable) copy of the SPI from a healthy device?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

&s there a way to increase the internal sdcard size?
06-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Here is what I am getting on the out of the box DroidTV M6 unit at 115200,8/N/1. I am sure it has everything to do with the Putty config. The attachment is from a ubuntu m/c, although the win-7 also had similar output.

Attached File(s)
.zip  putty_log.good.zip (Size: 53.99 KB / Downloads: 27)
06-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Hi amygo,
are you connecting with the USB->uart cable?
Did you connect all the 4 pins? or just 3 - GND - TX - RX ?

Have you tried the FW available from the following thread http://forum.androidgadget.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=97 ?
06-07-2013, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2013 09:41 PM by amygo.)
Evgeniy thanks for your response...
I used a serial cable (usb male->D-connector), directly connected to my 9-pin serial port of my ubuntu desktop. This cable does not have the usb-to-rs232 conversion. My UART-to-usb cable (with conversion hardware) is on its way. My cable has the +5v un-wired; so only three wires: GND/TX/RX. The on/off button does consistently throw out the stream of unreadable console data I attached. I have two boxes; one original and the other bricked. The file I attached is from the good one.

I did attempt the above FW, but my Flash does not reach the aml file anymore. It loads the uImage_recovery, and throws the big yellow droid on the lower right quarter of the screen. If I don't include a uImage_recovery file, it does nothing.

Questions:
Is there a file that will force it to use the aml file from the sd-card?
If I wipe out my SPI flash (by shorting the pins,) would it be forced to load the FW anew?
06-07-2013, 09:38 PM
amygo,
did your UART connection previously worked?
Since one of our clients has nearly similar issue ( he wiped his Android partition while he was installing the Linux XBMC build for the MX) I have already requested help from our manufacturer on this matter.
I just wonder where did you get this box from?
06-08-2013, 01:47 AM
No! local supplier...

Is there a file that will force it to use the aml file from the sd-card?
If I wipe out my SPI flash (by shorting the pins,) would it be forced to load the FW anew?
What configuration/character-set did you use in Putty?
How do I get a good (usable) copy of the SPI from the healthy device?
06-08-2013, 03:03 AM
To be honest, I don't know the procedure for emergency recovering the box.
But It might help shortening the pins as it works for the Prometheus & MX box, which are based on the same SoC as M6 box:
see these thread:
http://forum.androidgadget.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=160

as well @iamwally posted the recovery proceduref for the Wepower Mediabox:
http://forum.androidgadget.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=106
The main idea is to get access to u-boot command window through the console and manually launch the recovery:
Quote:Confirm the MX the power is turned off, insert the SD card, the computer set the serial port and open the serial port after, make sure the of black putty pop-up window is the top window
Press and hold the computer's Enter key (Enter) and apply power to MX, if done correctly, Putty should soon enter a command window (DOS window almost prompt last #, this should be a U-boot command window)
In window putty u-boot, enter the following command, to un-brick the machine:

sf probe 2

sf erase 0 100000

mmcinfo

fatload mmc 0 82000000 u-boot.bin

sf write 82000000 0 60000

nand info

nand scrub

9, write recovery

fatload mmc 0 82000000 uImage_recovery

bootm

10, which is the machine recovery window appears, and the emergence of the robot update icon, but I run to the final was a failure, does not matter

11, then restart mx should normally start

And then restart the machine, the recovery should be able to come out, if you can not get out, ask the manufacturer's customer service, I know.
06-20-2013, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2013 04:14 PM by amygo.)
(06-07-2013 06:29 PM)Evgeniy Wrote:  Hi amygo,
are you connecting with the USB->uart cable?
Did you connect all the 4 pins? or just 3 - GND - TX - RX ?

Have you tried the FW available from the following thread http://forum.androidgadget.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=97 ?

Thanks Evgeniy,
I was able to use the UART with the ttl-usb adapter. I was trying ttl to serial port directly, and that was the issue...

Is there a command to format the nand as an ext4 filesystem through the uart/putty? can we also mount the file systems and perhaps dd copy the files?
07-02-2013, 04:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 05:02 AM by tdx3000.)
Hi,

Could you please update the images links, it no longer available.

I have some problem connected with putty it only displaying garbage (the speed is set to 115200)

Connectted: GND, TX, RX

im using this TTL UART 6PIN Serial Converter CP2102

[/code][/align]
Code:
ðÐððø''G'ðG7ð'GððÐðððððøÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐðø'ððGðððGGøðð°ððÇçððððpðp°ðððððÐðððÐðÇ​ðÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÒÐÐÐÐðð°ðøðGGðððøðð'ÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐ​ÐÐð'ððððððÐÐÐÐÐÑÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐððÐðððÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐððG'G''ðÐÐðGøGððGðððÐÐÐ​ÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐpð'ððG''GG'ðG'GG''ð''GG'GG'GGG'GGGðð'Gðx°ððÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐðð'GðxðððGÐÐ​ÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐé''GG'''GG'''GGGðGððpðøGGGÐÐÐéÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐаðððððððððð​ÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐðøGGÐÐÐÐÐÐÐððx°ðøððÐððpððððøððÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐð​ðp°ðøð°ðððððø'ðððððxÐððGðððð'ððð°ðGðÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÒÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐððpÐð​GððGðððGøðGðððððððpÐððððð'ðððGÐÐÐðð'ðx°ððððÐðððx°ðððÐð'GG'GG'GGG'ðGGGGGGðpÐð''ðG​GGð'ðð°ðððGGð°ðøGð'ððððÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐè'ÐÐÐÐÔÐÐÐÐÔÐÐÐÐðG'GG'GG'G'''GGððøð°ðÐ​ÐÐÐÔÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐðÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐ​ÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐððpðòðÐðððÐððøððpðGðÐðððøðð'üðpÐðððððððððð'ð&øðððøðð'ð°ððð'ðððð'ððððððpðððððððÐðð°ðððððpðÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÒÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐ​ÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐøððÐððGÐÐÐÐÐðGððGðððð'ðððÐðððpðGðððððððððððÐðGðððððððð'ÿð°ð'ðpðøð'''GGG​GGGGðG'GGG'ôGG'ððð'ÐÐÐð'''Gððð'ðGGð'ð°ðÇÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÒÐÐÐÐÐÐÔÐÐÐÐÐÐÐèGÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐÐ​ÐÐÐÐÐð'ÐÐаò'GGG'GG'GGGG''GððpððpððGGGø'ðGð°ðððððGðÿðððGðð°ðGðÐðGGÇððÐððð°ððpÐð'​

NVM reboot computer and putty and it display fine now