DroidTV MX new Firmware released!

DroidTV Wizard for XBMC

Minix X7 8th FW released!

Poll: Was this thread useful to you?
Yes, give me more!
Very soft release...
You know nothing about the development...
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Customized GBox MX2 4.2.2 Firmware 20130514 for DroidTV MX
05-19-2013, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 07:41 AM by Evgeniy.)
Not Solved Customized GBox MX2 4.2.2 Firmware 20130514 for DroidTV MX
Hi guys,

@iamwally shared the solution how to flash the GBox Midnight MX2 Rooted firmware into the MX box.
I have tested this solution and it solved the Audio Sync issue, but I noticed that there is similar issue with the streaming 1080p over the Ethernet as discussed in Matricom's forum.

If you think you would like to give a try for this firmware, here are the steps for the workaround:
  • Download Tronsmart Prometheus 04 14 Firmware with disabled HW check
    Prometheus_4_14_Unlocked.zip (263.3 MB)
  • Download customized GBox Midnight MX2 firmware:
    [androidgadget.co.uk]-DroidTV_MX_42_20130514e.zip (255.6 MB)
    Pass: androidgadget.co.uk
  • Extract the Tronsmart Prometheus Firmware to the SD Card
  • Turn off the MX box. Insert SD Card with the firmware. Put the toothpick in to the AV slot to press the hidden button. While holding the button plug the power cable in. After 6 seconds release the button. You should see the Android sign followed by the flashing progress bar.
    Don't remove the SD Card at this point.
    The box will restart and will continue to flash the rest of the Prometheus FW files.
    The box will restart once again.
    Now you will see the black screen. Don't panic, everything is going well Wink
  • Wipe out all the data on the SD Card. Extract the customized GBox Firmware MX2 files into the SD Card
  • Repeat the firmware upgrade procedure.

I have tried to debug this process to understand why this solution works, but I couldn't find why. If anyone knows how we can build a fully functioning ROM would appreciate if you share your thoughts.

Update 26/06/2013
New Firmware release for DroidTV MX
http://forum.androidgadget.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=263

Video how to upgrade FW for the MX box:

We are here to help you. [url=http://androidgadget.co.uk]AndroidGadget UK[/url]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Not Solved RE: Customized GBox MX2 4.2.2 Firmware for DroidTV MX
So we do a normal firmware update with the first file and allow the box to reboot, then do a normal firmware update again with the MX2 file. Is this safe to do, and does this fix the audio sync issues?
05-19-2013, 12:52 PM
I did flashing around 30x times and still my device is alive. After you flash the Prometheus firmware, you should see the dark screen. But when you call the recovery procedure with the SD Card inserted it will start flashing the 4.2.2 upgrade...
yes it did solve the Audio Sync issue.

05-19-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean by recovery procedure? Do you put both files on the SD card at the same time? Can I do the update procedure from within android using the upgrade function? Your instructions are not very clear, and I'm afraid of killing my MX box if I do it wrong.
05-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Sorry for that Smile I have updated the description.

05-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Will the box reboot after the first flash?
05-19-2013, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 03:41 PM by gmaldonado79.)
Nice looks like it worked. Audio sync is gone.Smile

Is your WiFi working? mine won't turn on but my Ethernet does.

Thank you

After installing the tronsmart firmware the box will reboot.
Then when u attempt to run new droidmx mx2 firmware it will fail so you have to wipe userdata and cache. Then run install from sd card again. Once it completes reboot and you're done.
05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
This sounds like what happened to my wifi early on when I was trying to find the right firmware for the MX. I have not yet managed to getthe wifi working again, and suspect one of the wipes that took place during one of the flashings wiped the wifi data such as MAC address (maybe more).

I suspect we won't be the only ones with this problem, so if you finda solution please post it in my tread on lost wifi. I'll do likewise.

If there are any Devs out there reading this, any help or tips you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
Boni
05-19-2013, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 08:01 PM by GPLLover.)
Been running this firmware on g18ref boards for the last week, was waiting to see what happens when a new OTA is pushed out but It appears to be identified as a mx2 now. For my g18ref boards on 4.2.2 I simply went to upgrade app and chose the mx2 firmware to fully install the rom. unable to install it however on my g02ref boards as there doesnt appear to be a base 4.2.2 rom. Its funny but I believe that is why some users are also stuck on 4.2.1 with the MX2, I believe factories previously had g02ref boards but are now pushing out g18ref models with 4.2.2.
05-19-2013, 10:34 PM
so if i try this i will probably loose wifi ?